Wolves Drop Overtime Match to Greyhounds

In a battle between two Northern teams Wednesday in Sault Ste. Marie, the Greyhounds were able to complete the comeback as Katchouk scored in overtime to end the game with a 5-4 final over the Sudbury Wolves. The Wolves battled hard against the high-flying third place Greyhounds taking a 4-2 lead after two periods with goals coming from Owen Gilhula (2), Noah Serre, and Dmitry Sokolov.

Jake McGrath played an exceptional game for the Wolves making countless outstanding saves in net. He made a total of 40 saves on the evening and kept the team in the game, en route to being named the third star of the game. Noah Serre, a call-up from the Rayside Balfour Canadians, had a memorable game scoring his first OHL goal.

Rookie Cole Mackay had a solid game for the Greyhounds scoring his first and second OHL goal starting with the goal that opened the scoring six minutes into the game to put the Greyhounds up 1-0. Solid pressure and play from Owen Gilhula paid off as he scored both of the Wolves goals in the first period. Gilhula’s first goal came off a scramble in front of Greyhounds goaltender Tyler Johnson. The referees spent time reviewing the play before deeming it a good goal and crediting Michael Pezzetta and Emmett Serensits with the assists. Gilhula’s second goal came off of a wraparound as he put the Wolves up 2-1 heading into the first intermission.

In a strong second period for the Wolves, they continued to apply pressure and added two more goals to chase Johnson out of the net. Noah Serre extended the Wolves lead to 3-1 with Anthony Tabak picking up an assist on the play. Three minutes later Ramus Sandin responded for the Greyhounds to cut the lead to 3-2. The Wolves were not done as Dmitry Sokolov scored off of a quick release that trickled through Johnson, ending his night.

Despite the two-goal deficit, the Greyhounds had all of the fire in the third period as they came out strong scoring just nineteen seconds into the period to cut the lead to 4-3. The goal coming off the stick of MacKay. Minutes later, the Greyhounds tied the game at 4 as Boris Katchouk scored on a breakaway. The Wolves held on in the third period as the Greyhounds applied lots of pressure. An incredible glove save from McGrath during a penalty kill for the Wolves in the final minutes of the third period was enough to send the game into overtime.

With time winding down in the extra frame, Katchouk beat McGrath to give the Greyhounds the victory. Final shots on net were 45-21 in favour of the Greyhounds.

The Wolves now return home for a double header weekend as they take on two Central Division rivals facing off against the Niagara IceDogs on Friday night and the Mississauga Steelheads on Saturday. Both games are set to get underway at 7:05pm. Tickets are on-sale now at the Sudbury Arena Box Office and online at

More News
Wolves Look to Extend Win Streak on the Road
3 hours ago
Wolves Launch Halloween Contest in Partnership with Five
9 hours ago
Weekend Recap of October 19th and 20th
11 hours ago
Oct. 20/18 - KGN (0) - SBY (2)
1 day ago
Wolves Shut-Out Frontenacs
3 days ago
Oct. 19/18 - HAM (5) - SBY (7)
3 days ago